• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customer will not pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stage174

What is the name of your state? New York
I was hired to do a construction job and during the course of repairs I uncoverd old and faulty wiring ,The owner did not ask for Insurance Certificate,Contractors License or electrical licences and did not elect to file the job prior to beginning the work.He was made aware of the existing conditions and the extra cost to repair and the building manager also was aware of the other projects in the apt building. Now he does not want to pay the balance due until I provide the documents he requested.The electricain will not provide the licences unless the job is filed.,As there is still faulty and old wiring in the apt building .I can provide the Ins and Contractors DCA #. Can I file a Mechinics Lein while this situation is still being disputed and do I need to have a DCA # to do so?

lcannister

When you say file do you mean get a permit, excuse my ignorance, if so tell him to pay up or you report it to the pemit people!

Do you have a written contract of the work that is/was to be done including the "findings"?

How much money are we talking, small claims material or higher court where you need an Atty?

I'd would try and file the mechanics lien if you feel you have a legal leg to stand on.

BL

What is the name of your state? New York
I was hired to do a construction job and during the course of repairs I uncoverd old and faulty wiring ,The owner did not ask for Insurance Certificate,Contractors License or electrical licences and did not elect to file the job prior to beginning the work.He was made aware of the existing conditions and the extra cost to repair and the building manager also was aware of the other projects in the apt building. Now he does not want to pay the balance due until I provide the documents he requested.The electricain will not provide the licences unless the job is filed.,As there is still faulty and old wiring in the apt building .I can provide the Ins and Contractors DCA #. Can I file a Mechinics Lein while this situation is still being disputed and do I need to have a DCA # to do so?
Has any electrical work been done by a licensed Electrician ?

Who hired the Licensed Electrician ?

What does your written contract state about Electrical upgrades ?

Sometime " Older" buildings are exempt from certain codes , is this the case ?

In any event the Electrician is correct , Elect. is not suppose to begin until there are permits in place , and then it has to be monitored by an inspector and approved .

Just who is responsible depends on the factors , of your contract . If you were hired to do work other than Elect. ( and you discovered old elect. ) that may not be against code , and you would be expected to complete your contract before being paid .

You must give us the facts to get an accurate answer .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">