• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help needed! New home not complete since April

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harrisburgpa

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hello.

Condo was purchased and moved in in April 2006. Brand new, with some items yet to be completed.

There have been several problems..for example, in my first night at the house, I found sewage leaking form the 2nd floor bathroom to the first floor living room. That was fixed..but over the past few months, I've made a list of outstanding items (and certain defects, such as many nails popping out of the walls, problems with drywall, etc.) and the builder has come in a few times to work on these things.

He does not tell me what he has worked on and when (he has a key to the condo) and has not come in quite a long time. There are still a lot of things to be fixed.

I gave the builder a call again just recently. He and I will meet in one day to discuss all of the outstanding items.

What do I need to do during this meeting to best communicate the outstanding issues AND what do I need to do to BIND him to an agreement to fix everything?

I am worried that if this takes too long, the warranty on my new home will expire!

Thanks!!!!

lcannister

Take an Atty with you that will get his attention.

Realistically the builder has been paid and has no incentive to come back and fix stuff.

harrisburgpa

thanks for the reply...but I meet with him Wednesday night and I don't quite know anyone to bring with my on short notice.

If anyone has advice in terms of what to include in a document to have the builder sign, or anything like that, that would be incredibly helpful. thanks!!

lcannister

AND what do I need to do to BIND him to an agreement to fix everything?

You already have binding contracts and that doesn't seem to be working. If you have a fool for a builder you MIGHT get him to sign some list you make up but I would not count on it. Then if he does sign it you will likely be piddling around with this for several years.

What are the issues, nails popping from dry wall all over the house doesn't sound right?

You could always file a small claims case against the builder.

Good luck hope the meeting doesn't suddenly get cancelled on you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">