• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

As durable Power of Attorney, can I sell Granny's house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Linda Littell

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Hi, I have durable power of attorney over my Grandmother. She has been placed in a wonderful assisted living home very close to me. Within 10 months, we will have need to sell her residence in Lexington KY. in order to continue paying for her care in this home.

My power of attorney has been drawn up by a lawyer, signed by my Grandmother, and witnessed. In it it states that I have the power to make financial decisions, buy or sell property etc. This power of attorney has been filed with the courts in Perry County, KY.

Would I be able to contact realitors, sell her property without my Grandmother's approval? She believes she will go home someday soon, but that will not work, as she is in a wheelchair and doesn't even know how to take her own meds, without assistance. I am afraid she would not be willing to sell her home, but as I said, in order to keep her where she is getting excellent care, we will need to have access to more money, eventually.

Any information passed on to me is very much appreciated.

LindaWhat is the name of your state?

roaddog

well I am No Lawyer, but I would guess the answer is Yes.
As you said, Grandma has already signed permission, giving you
power to make financial decisions, to buy and sale etc.
You already have her approval by her signing the papers.:D

Linda Littell

Granny's home is 2 1/2 hours distance from either of her children. My Grandmother has been living with her daughter in KY for a month, then to my mother's home for a month for the last 8 years, since her stroke. When my mother became ill, then suddenly passed away she was up here with my mother, I transitioned her into the assisted living place to try to take care of Mom prior to her passing.
I'm not really sure why they opted to take care of her theirselves vs hiring someone to take care of her at Granny's house? But, bottom line is, the house has been vacant for so long now that it needs alot of work to even be liveable, and Granny is doing so well in her assisted living place that we've decided to allow her to spend the rest of her days there. It's within 3 min. of my home. My sister and I visit her regularly, she has made friends there and finally has only one doctor overseeing her medical needs. She is showing all the physical signs of having the best care that we have seen in 8 years.
She has dementia, which I believe is acutally improving with consistancy of her care, but it is now far enough along that she doesn't remember having a house in Lex. she remembers her house on 2nd. creek, that she lived at 50 years ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">