• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

silly NC law! I get punished twice?!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needsadviceuhg!

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
So, back in July I got a speeding ticket in Pennsylvania traveling from NY to NC. The ticket was paid on time and apparently reported to the North Carolina Dept of Motor Vehicles in Raleigh, NC. From there, it was then suspended due to a "special" NC law which allows them do so (basically they're like "Oh Goody! we get to make some money off this too!)
Not to mention, the address on my license was not the current address I'd been residing in so, they sent my suspension notice to my old address. I had been driving with a susp. license since October and had no idea! Plus I just arrived in California three days ago after driving here myself unaware to the fact that I could be arrested if I had gotten pulled over for any reason. Now, I owe NC $100 and my license is susp. untill April. I NEED MY LICENSE. I found out about all of this today when I went to the DMV to get my CA license. Any advice on how I go about fighting this one?? It just doesn't seem right..does it?:confused:

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
So, back in July I got a speeding ticket in Pennsylvania traveling from NY to NC. The ticket was paid on time and apparently reported to the North Carolina Dept of Motor Vehicles in Raleigh, NC. From there, it was then suspended due to a "special" NC law which allows them do so (basically they're like "Oh Goody! we get to make some money off this too!)
Not to mention, the address on my license was not the current address I'd been residing in so, they sent my suspension notice to my old address. I had been driving with a susp. license since October and had no idea! Plus I just arrived in California three days ago after driving here myself unaware to the fact that I could be arrested if I had gotten pulled over for any reason. Now, I owe NC $100 and my license is susp. untill April. I NEED MY LICENSE. I found out about all of this today when I went to the DMV to get my CA license. Any advice on how I go about fighting this one?? It just doesn't seem right..does it?:confused:
Where is the part about getting punished twice?

He paid the fine in PA.

It must have been speeding more than 15 over or 80+ so now NC automatically suspended his licence and assessed additional fees.

If you live in NC, NEVER just pay an out of state ticket more than 15 over, get a lawyer.

Call a NC lawyer to see if they can fix it -- I hear it's really expensive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">