• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI with Marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dilbert16001

I live in PA. My son was recently involved in an auto accident. He, unfortunatley, had rebelled against our advice and had been smoking marijuana earlier that evening. The police did not perform any field testing at the scene, however, did perform a blood test approx. 2 hrs after the accident (at the hospital). They also found drug paraphinila in his car (a bong) and is being charged with posession of this paraphinila. The test has come back positive. Can he be charged with a DUI? I understand that it was soooo very wrong of my son to have been using the drug and possibly driving under the influence of the drug, but I would like the opportunity to deter his actions myself, without ruining his (and our) lives for what looks to be an extended period of time.

racer72

As I write this I am in the company of a reserve police officer in the state of Washington. The laws of your state may differ. A person can be charged with DUI for being under the influence of alcohol, prescription or over the counter drug, any illegal drug, or any substance that impairs a persons ability to operate a motor vehicle in a safe manner. If this is his first offense, he may be eligible for deferred sentencing. This would require enrolling in and completing a drug rehab program, paying a fine and having his license suppended for a period of time. He may also be required to submit to random UA tests. His insurance rates are going to go through the roof too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">