• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving away some of my full-time hours to part-time employees!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pferrell68

Hello, i have a very interesting question. I was just hired on about 2 mons. ago as a new manager of a brand new candy store. I was hired on as the manager of the store and full time with 40 hrs. per week. This was done orally with the owners. My co-worker was hired on as my assistant manager full time with 40 hrs. per week. This was also done orally. Recently, i was told by one of the owners of the store to give some of mine and my assistants full time hours to the other two part-time employees that we have working with us also. When i questioned her why i had to do this, her answer was that since i was married and had a husband with a job that i didn't need to work full time!! She also said that since my assistant had another part-time job that she didn't need to work full time either!! Is this legal? Do we have to give our hours away to other employees just because the owner thinks that we don't need to work full time even after we were both hired on as full time employees? I feel like i am being discriminated against because i have a husband with a job!! She feels like she is being discriminated against because she has a part-time job other then her full time job at the candy store. Neither my husband or her part-time job is interfering with our job performances so we do not understand the owners reasoning for making us give our hours away. We could both use your expert advise in this matter as quickly as possible. We both live in the state of Florida.

Phyllis

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">