• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bounced check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

debzone62

I took a check from a customer for $605 and the checked bounced. I wrote the driver's license number and the social security of the person on the check. My employer found out that the checking account had been closed and now says that I have to pay back the money and is going to garnish my wages until it is all paid back. Can they legally do this? And if I quit, can they file any charges against me for this?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Why would they charge you == were you a cashier? HOw would you know the check was going to bounce? Why would you have to pay for it? Your employer's insurance company should pay once he files a claim or he can take it as a business loss on his taxes.

Why would you be criminally charged.

You need to be a little more clear with this story so people CAN help you here.

D

debzone62

Bounced Check

I am a cashier at a smoke shop. A place where they sell cigarettes. I took a check for $605. The check number was less than 500. The lady told me she had written checks there before, so I didn't think anything of it. People come in quite often and buy large amounts of cigarettes for senior homes and such. Well, the check bounced. The account was apparantly closed, and the checks were stolen. And since I took the check, they are going to start taking the money out of my pay until the amount is paid back. Can they do this?

JETX

This is an interesting post....

Some relevant issues:
1) Unless you agreed to be a 'responsible party' when taking a customers check, you have NO liability to the store owner to make the check 'good'. Ask the store owner to show you either your agreement, or your acceptance of the store 'policy'.
2) Unless the store owner gets a court ordered judgment against you, they CANNOT 'garnish' your wages. Any withholding of your pay without your permission would be illegal and probably a violation of local and federal labor laws.

You now have a decision to make.... and either choice is going to result in your probably losing this job.

a) Confront the owner and challenge the 'involuntary withholding'.
b) If he decides to 'withhold' anyway, you will need to report him/her to the local labor folks and probably have to sue him to recover your pay.

In any case, start now by documenting the 'case'. Get copies of all paystubs, notes, memos, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">