• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about a traffic citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kc_punk

What is the name of your state? Kansas

Alright, so on my way to school today, I drove past a sign but didn't catch what it said, so I backed up a bit and saw that it said "No thru-traffic between 7 AM and 3:30 PM."
So I turned around and left the area. On my way away from the area, the School cop pulled me over, asked for my license and insurance card, and told me to go to school, where he would get back to me later, which he did, at 10:00 AM. I was pulled over and my license and insurance were taken about 7:25.

While in his office at school, he wrote me a citation for the earlier violation for $100. Now my question is this:

Is the issued citation valid, as it was for a violation that happened at 7:25 AM, and the time on the ticket said 10:00 AM? In addition, is it also valid seeing as how he took my license and insurance card and told me to leave, therefore saying that I was "free to go", so to speak, and not bringing up the subject of a citation? (I'm 16, by the way with a completley clean driving record until now), and if I fight it in the Municipal Court, do I have a case? Thanks in advance for replies.

What is the name of your state? Kansas

Alright, so on my way to school today, I drove past a sign but didn't catch what it said, so I backed up a bit and saw that it said "No thru-traffic between 7 AM and 3:30 PM."
So I turned around and left the area. On my way away from the area, the School cop pulled me over, asked for my license and insurance card, and told me to go to school, where he would get back to me later, which he did, at 10:00 AM. I was pulled over and my license and insurance were taken about 7:25.

While in his office at school, he wrote me a citation for the earlier violation for $100. Now my question is this:

Is the issued citation valid, as it was for a violation that happened at 7:25 AM, and the time on the ticket said 10:00 AM? In addition, is it also valid seeing as how he took my license and insurance card and told me to leave, therefore saying that I was "free to go", so to speak, and not bringing up the subject of a citation? (I'm 16, by the way with a completley clean driving record until now), and if I fight it in the Municipal Court, do I have a case? Thanks in advance for replies.
Sounds like proceedure followed is a bit uncommon, but still within law. An attentive judge, with sufficient cause to accept the facts as you have presented them here, would likely cut you slack. A safety issue is not involved, and the small infraction clearly absent intent to violate. Even so, the act committed in driving past the sign is possibly a statue violation (if you constituted "thru traffic" in fact), the cop observed it and wrote a citation within his authority. You might consult the statutes or a lawyer, to learn more about the "thru traffic" definition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">