• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ: Improperly filled out speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnOverman

What is the name of your state? New Jersey (the Garden State)

Hi, recently I've received a speeding ticket which I definitely did deserve -- I'm not going to argue that point.
Now, in New Jersey there is the option to pay speeding tickets online if you want to admit guilt, which I went to do, but I kept receiving an error that the court number listed on the ticket was invalid.
I then though I would have to appear in court to pay my ticket, but when I checked the court appearance date it is listed as 1/4/2006. Today is 12/22/2006 so this date is impossible to attend. I also noticed another error on the ticket in that the vehicle year is wrong. It's listed as an 03 when it's an 07. Another small error is that the check box indicating that the incident occurred in a 65 mph zone was not checked while it was written elsewhere that this was the speed limit of the zone I was in; I don't know this may be a blessing :).
Anyway, considering all these errors -- specifically the ones considering the impossible court date and invalid court number listed on the ticket -- do I have to pay this ticket? Considering the ticket is impossible to pay online and the court date is impossible to attend could I have this ticket dismissed? I've search the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commissions website and I haven't found any answers. Hopefully someone here does.
Thank you for your time.

Primetime00

If you miss court - you'll be in trouble.
I'd call the court and find out when the real date is.
I also don't think the charges will be dismissed because of those errors.

JETX

Anyway, considering all these errors -- specifically the ones considering the impossible court date and invalid court number listed on the ticket -- do I have to pay this ticket?
Heck no... do NOT pay that ticket. Far too many errors to justify the citation!!!

Considering the ticket is impossible to pay online and the court date is impossible to attend could I have this ticket dismissed?
Of course you can. All you have to do is get the courts permission.....

JohnOverman

Now how would I go about having the ticket dismissed? Should I attend the court date which I'm assuming is 1/04/2007 or is there someone I could see in the courthouse sooner? Thanks to everyone who's helped with great information so far.

JETX

Now how would I go about having the ticket dismissed? Should I attend the court date which I'm assuming is 1/04/2007 or is there someone I could see in the courthouse sooner? Thanks to everyone who's helped with great information so far.
Just ignore the ticket entirely. Then, when an FTA (Failure to Appear) warrant is issued, just explain your predicament to the officers when they arrest you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">