• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding G.S. 20-141(j1)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NJtoNC

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I just got pulled over for doing 57 in a 40. They gave me a mandatory court appearance. The citation code is GS 20-141(j1).

In addition, I am driving with a NJ license after living in Charlotte for 4 months. I'm a student here in Charlotte. I was/am uncertain if I going to make Charlotte my home so I did not change my license. I do not rent (I live with family). So, I don't feel that citation is valid.

What type of fines can I expect? I have a clean driving record. What can I do to avoid points?

Thank you for suggestions and information.

NJtoNC

out of state

Sorry for the confusion, I did not think the speeding violation was invalid; rather, I felt the "out of state" citation was invalid.

justalayman

Sorry for the confusion, I did not think the speeding violation was invalid; rather, I felt the "out of state" citation was invalid.
That makes sense but you never said anything about recieving a ticket for this originally.

Do you maintain a residence elsewhere?

If not,the ticket is justified. Most states allow somewhere between 30 and 90 days to change your license (and by the way, some states require you to change your vehicle title to your state of new residence as well). 4 months is assuredly more than allowed to make the changes.

Sounds like you should be classified as a "Non-resident", check with the DMV.

A nonresident of North Carolina is "Any person whose legal residence is in a state, territory, or jurisdiction other than North Carolina or in a foreign country."

Examples of nonresidents:

• Salesmen whose homes are in other states who travel through North Carolina.
  • Out-of-state college students who intend to return to their home states upon completion of their educations in North Carolina.
  • Members of the armed forces stationed in North Carolina who intend to return to their home states.
  • Spouses of nonresident members of the armed forces stationed in North Carolina.
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_services/drivershandbook/chapter1/nonResidents.html

efflandt

Is the address on record for your license and registration still a valid address that you consider your home and can receive mail (like your parent's house)? If not then you need to comply with the license and registration requirements of wherever you consider your permanent residence.

lwpat

The problem is they will suspend your right to drive in NC. You need to go in and talk to the ADA prior to your court date. Take your school information with you and have him drop the citation for not changing your license per Robbie's post and also get the ticket lowered to a nine over. If you can't work it out with him, retain an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">