• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana paraphanalia and possession charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MomofSix

What is the name of your state? IL

Last week, Lake Community High School claims to have had an 'anonymous' phone call from a "parent" stating that my son was bringing drugs to school. They searched, him and his lockers and found nothing.

Then then decided that since my daughter goes to school there and she drives, that they would search her vehicle. They found a pipe in the back of the car. My daughter said it is not hers and she has no idea where it came from. They suspended her and called the police. The police are charging her with possession of paraphanalia and controlled substance less than $10,000! How can they do this? I am shocked and at a loss. My daughter has turned 18 two months ago... Will she be able to get this off her record? How much trouble is she in?

I honestly feel this was a setup... and I am mad as the dickens. What can we do?What is the name of your state?

jazzminderas

You need a lawyer.

Have you spoken to the school about the fact that the claim was false? Have you found out whose parent called? What nationality are you? I would be very upset with the school about having taken this anonymous call so seriously! What assurance do you have that the claims made against your son will not be made and another discriminatory search will not occur again? How upsetting... unfortunately the post above is correct. You will definitely need a lawyer and I would sue for slander of some sort, if you can. Sue Sue Sue because you are going to be spending a ton of money defending her you may as well get that back!

fairisfair

Have you spoken to the school about the fact that the claim was false? Have you found out whose parent called? What nationality are you? I would be very upset with the school about having taken this anonymous call so seriously! What assurance do you have that the claims made against your son will not be made and another discriminatory search will not occur again? How upsetting... unfortunately the post above is correct. You will definitely need a lawyer and I would sue for slander of some sort, if you can. Sue Sue Sue because you are going to be spending a ton of money defending her you may as well get that back!
are you actually this stupid???? The only part of your post that is correct, is the part you copied from Senior Judge.

jazzminderas

Fair is white.

are you actually this stupid???? The only part of your post that is correct, is the part you copied from Senior Judge.
Did you actually have an argument to make or are you going to continue to question my intelligence simply because you feel threatened? By the way... your screen name is redundant.:p

Last edited:

CdwJava

jazzminderas said:
Have you spoken to the school about the fact that the claim was false?
I suppose the school's psychic staff was off that day so they were unable to verify the veracity of the call. However, they do have the right to act on certain types of information and apparently they chose to act on this one. The fact that they did no find any dope does not mean that none had been present at an earlier time or that the claim was false ... it doesn't make it true,m but neither can it be shown to be false.

Have you found out whose parent called?
Even if they did know, I doubt they would say.

What nationality are you?
I think we can presume, American.

I would be very upset with the school about having taken this anonymous call so seriously!
Had it been an anonymous threat of violence against your child, would you also be upset if the school failed to act? Ever since Columbine, schools and the state have been taking more direct action even in instances of rumors.

What assurance do you have that the claims made against your son will not be made and another discriminatory search will not occur again?
How can ANYONE promise that no one will accuse them again of ANY crime? That's just plain silly!

and I would sue for slander of some sort, if you can. Sue Sue Sue because you are going to be spending a ton of money defending her you may as well get that back!
Good luck in that lawsuit. The attorney would make out because he or she would be paid up front.

It sounds like the parents need to either talk to the daughter and see that she get a better class of friends. Either she is smoking dope or her friends are dropping their stuff in her car. In either event, this is cause for concern. And if she is 18, she is old enough to make her own decisions and even live on her own if she is making the wrong ones.

- Carl

CdwJava

jazzerminderas said:
Law enforcement is not effective in elimintating the growing fear among us... it only instills it further. Police kill, speak out.
Of course ... that's why in the past few days two Long Beach officers were shot and critically wounded, a San Francisco PD officer was murdered chasing a wanted felon, and an Oceanside police officer was murdered while ambushed at a traffic stop.

I have two police funerals to attend this week - one of them was a friend of mine. Yeah, TELL me that "police kill" ... right now, they are just dying. :mad:

- Carl

cepe10

Of course ... that's why in the past few days two Long Beach officers were shot and critically wounded, a San Francisco PD officer was murdered chasing a wanted felon, and an Oceanside police officer was murdered while ambushed at a traffic stop.

I have two police funerals to attend this week - one of them was a friend of mine. Yeah, TELL me that "police kill" ... right now, they are just dying. :mad:

- Carl
Please, This is not a forum or the place for your personal rants... And as a whole I beleive that law enforcment is way ahead in terms of killing either innocent bystanders or those citizens who did not deserve a death sentence so that should make you feel better:)

CdwJava

I can "RANT" anywhere and any time I want to, pal! No death makes me or any other cop I know "feel better". Truth be told, even when an officer shoots a righteous bad guy, the officer doing the shooting is most often done with his career by his own doing and conscience. Most men of good conscience cannot continue on knowing they have taken a life - even when deserved.

So, you can continue to join those that assign evil and foul motives to everyone who dons the badge. I, however, know better. I know the people on the inside - unlike you, and I know what motivates and inspires officers of the law - the overwhelming majority of them, anyway.

- Carl

fairisfair

Please, This is not a forum or the place for your personal rants... And as a whole I beleive that law enforcment is way ahead in terms of killing either innocent bystanders or those citizens who did not deserve a death sentence so that should make you feel better:)
Now you just need to shut your big trap. You are the poster child for ranting and raving. And most of the time with nothing but your flapping mouth to back up your anti police BS.

Carl is one of the most respected and fair people that you will ever have the pleasure of speaking to.

You on the other hand are nothing more than an idiot.

fairisfair

Did you actually have an argument to make or are you going to continue to question my intelligence simply because you feel threatened? By the way... your screen name is redundant.:p
no, actually my screen name is not redundant, but I wouldn't expect anyone of your intelligence level to be able to ascertain that fact.

Threatened, by you? that would be a battle of wits with an obviously unarmed man.
Dude you couldn't fight your way out of a paper bag, not even if it came with directions.

Shay-Pari'e

I can "RANT" anywhere and any time I want to, pal! No death makes me or any other cop I know "feel better". Truth be told, even when an officer shoots a righteous bad guy, the officer doing the shooting is most often done with his career by his own doing and conscience. Most men of good conscience cannot continue on knowing they have taken a life - even when deserved.

So, you can continue to join those that assign evil and foul motives to everyone who dons the badge. I, however, know better. I know the people on the inside - unlike you, and I know what motivates and inspires officers of the law - the overwhelming majority of them, anyway.

- Carl
Why do you bother with Cepe hun? We all know what an idiot he is.;)

cepe10

I can "RANT" anywhere and any time I want to, pal! No death makes me or any other cop I know "feel better". Truth be told, even when an officer shoots a righteous bad guy, the officer doing the shooting is most often done with his career by his own doing and conscience. Most men of good conscience cannot continue on knowing they have taken a life - even when deserved. - Carl
You should start your own thread on it.

Here's a story to warm your heart...

http://query.nytimes.com/search/query?ppds=per&v1=CARNEGIE,+JOYCE+ANNE&sort=newest

In a short version, Earl Faison, was picked up in frenzied, chaotic search for killer of police officer Joyce Carnegie in Orange, New Jersey, in 1999. The officers tortured and killed him. The real killer eventually got caught and a life sentence. The peace officer's were not sorry for killing the wrong guy. They ended up with light sentences (after one judge tried to over-ride the juries guilty decision.

Again the point was that peace officer's kill, when they do they are far less accountable for it.

BTW - my sister is a DEA agent, my brother in law is a peace officer, my cousin is a prosecutor, I am pretty much a prosecutor in my job duties. The truth is just the truth. There are plenty of "Rambo's" out there.

MomofSix

I am really ticked about the whole situation and the more I review this in my mind, the more I think the whole thing was a setup. Anonymous call to the school... nothing found on my son... so they decided to search my daughter???!! Come on!!

Do they have the right to search her car without permission? I understand that the Columbine situation has put the school systems in a difficult situation.. but this is crazy.

My children are half Puerto Rican. Do you believe it' discrimination?

My daughter fully understands that she can not trust anyone in car at this point. Sad she had to learn this way.

Help!

cepe10

I am really ticked about the whole situation and the more I review this in my mind, the more I think the whole thing was a setup. Anonymous call to the school... nothing found on my son... so they decided to search my daughter???!! Come on!!

Do they have the right to search her car without permission? I understand that the Columbine situation has put the school systems in a difficult situation.. but this is crazy.

My children are half Puerto Rican. Do you believe it' discrimination?

My daughter fully understands that she can not trust anyone in car at this point. Sad she had to learn this way.

Help!
The seach was probably unlawful (without probably cause), there is a problem if she constented to it. (she should not have nor should she have talked at all without a lawyer). If she consented and it was coerced then again it was unlawful. In any case the probable cause is so muddled that I doubt it would hold up.

You are most likeley going to need a lawyer to battle the state on this one. The know the motions to file, discovery, etc. Yes, law enforcement officer's "profile" all the time and then conduct illegal searches. The Maryland State Police had are subject to a constent deree as we speak for this very same thing.

try this site to see if you can get a lawyer for a reasonable cost on this.
http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">