• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket in MA - what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dna608

Back in July, I was driving in MA on I-90 and I got ticketed 170$ for speeding 82 in a 65 mph zone. I requested a hearing, but the date they sent me was bad for me since I was out of the country. I talked with the clerks office and they agreed for me to send a letter in my defense. I sent the letter, where I explained that this was my first ever speeding violation and that I was merely trying to leave enough distance between my car and another in order to safely change lanes. Anyway, the magistrate reduced the fine but only to 150. I appealed and I got a letter stating the court hearing will be dec 12. however, there was no indication of the time of the hearing (the letter was a copy of the old form, and it had the time of the initial scheduled hearing 10am). I assumed the time will be the same, so I showed up at 10am. However, there they told me the hearing had been at 9am, and now I am too late. I explained that I couldn't have known it was 9am, since my letter showed 10am as the only time marking; they said they didn't care.

Is there anything I can do at this point (besides paying)? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

Back in July, I was driving in MA on I-90 and I got ticketed 170$ for speeding 82 in a 65 mph zone. I requested a hearing, but the date they sent me was bad for me since I was out of the country. I talked with the clerks office and they agreed for me to send a letter in my defense. I sent the letter, where I explained that this was my first ever speeding violation and that I was merely trying to leave enough distance between my car and another in order to safely change lanes. Anyway, the magistrate reduced the fine but only to 150. I appealed and I got a letter stating the court hearing will be dec 12. however, there was no indication of the time of the hearing (the letter was a copy of the old form, and it had the time of the initial scheduled hearing 10am). I assumed the time will be the same, so I showed up at 10am. However, there they told me the hearing had been at 9am, and now I am too late. I explained that I couldn't have known it was 9am, since my letter showed 10am as the only time marking; they said they didn't care.

Is there anything I can do at this point (besides paying)? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!What is the name of your state?
Well, since you don't want to hear 'pay the fine' then the answer is "NO".

cepe10

The court does need to provide you with the exact time of your trial or the block of time in which you need to be there. The notice didn't say anything about the schedule? did you get a verdict? an appeal may be possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">