• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contractor does not meet time deadline

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gbman98225

What is the name of your state? Washington state

I hired a contractor for a flat fee to remove carpet that was installed on top of hardwood floors as well sand and refinish the floors that were beneath it over a 3 week period of time. We verbally agreed on a completion date, but when it was apparent that he would not complete the job on time, we verbally agreed to another date. Again, that date was not meet, and we again agreed to another completion date. He again failed to complete the project. I have paid for half of the work, but to my estimation, less than half of the work is done. I want to fire him, but he has threatened me with legal action if I do not allow him to complete the work. From my perspective, he has not lived up to the verbal contracts and he does not have a legal position to take me to small claims court for the rest of his payment. Am I correct?

lcannister

About the only way you will truly know is if he takes you to court and you have your PROOF of said events.

And yes he can take you to court but the real question is will he win. Remember when you present you version of the oral contract then he can present his version of the oral contract and the Judge will decide.

Doesn't look to me, based soley on your post, that he has a leg to stand on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">