• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsibility of a Permit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GML

I live in Pinellas County FL and I recently hired a GC to enclose a screened in porch and extend it 5' to match the end of my house. I do not live at that location so I have not been there to over see the work being done. He is now out of town due to the holidays and unreachable. The work is continuing, however, I am seriously concerned that he did not pull any permits for the work. Whose responsibility is it to file the correct paperwork and who is held legally responsible if he is in fact working without a permit on the job?

lcannister

Whose responsibility is it to file the correct paperwork
Look at your contract a GOOD one will spell out who will obtain the permits or at least a listing in your break down of costs will list it as an item you are paying for in the contract amount. Some contractors for whatever reason will require the homeowner to take care of it.

The legal responsibility might lie in the contract as well.

Better see to those permits as the city can come and have the entire project torn down.

Now if you were aware of the non permits so the tax man would not cometh then you head to court with he said, she said and a Judge will decide. Curious has the city already been in contact with you over this issue and that is why it IS now an issue?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">