• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession of < 4oz Marijuana + Drug paraphernalia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mchornet45

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I was recently was arrested for possession of less than 4oz of marijuana (I had about 1 gram, less than 1% of 4oz) and drug paraphernalia (a pipe). This is my first offense. I'm 21, a senior in college on the Deans list with one semester left so I'm not a violent/bad person. The state says I could get up to 1 year jail term and/or up to $1000 fine for a misdemeanor. Does anybody from experience have any better idea what I am potentially looking at?

I have read several places that say I can possibly get these charges dropped after some sort of Drug Education program. How would I go about doing this? Is this something that the judge could decree or do I have to go about it myself PRIOR to the court date?

Also, a question that I really would like answered is- Should I get a lawyer? Is it worth it in this case? If anybody has any suggestions on this they will be much appreciated.

Thank you,
MarkWhat is the name of your state?

The Occultist

It is something the DA or judge will have to offer to you. Something you can do to be proactive about your situation that will make you look better, and thus increase the chances of getting such a generous offer, is to fine some sort of substance abuse class and take it, and bring proof of that to your first court date.

GMACHINE1992

Don't let it get ya down

I may not be in connecticut, but I was in a similar situation in Ohio last year, and the laws are somewhat harsh here and the particular court I went to and the judge I faced was harsh. I was charged with possesion of an undetermined amount of marijuana and a pipe. I was also a college student near completion. I appeared in court alone at first, the judge asked if I had an attorney and I simply told him I can't afford one with my student loans and stuff. He said I would be looking at 60 days jail, $1000 fine, and a years liscence suspension. And advised I get an attorney regardless. I got one returned to court 6 weeks later, infront of a more lenient judge by request of my att. after my attorney had done some negotiating with prosecutor I got the substance charge dropped. The paraphenalia charge was reduced to a "disorderly conduct" with no record, no probation. I had to pay $50 fine, $100 for court costs. Aparently this approach is taken offen my friend got the same offer diff. att. and diff. courts. This might be something to look into. Cost me $1500 but it beats 60 days in jail and a mandatory 1 year liscence suspension. Hope this helps dont sweat it, it'll work out.

C

CopsAreStupid

Please post, in as much detail as possible, how your arrest occured and how the cops managed to find the marijuana on you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">