• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor giving hard time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

garry

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I am in contract with a company for electrical and handman services (2 seperate contracts)
I have already paid them half the amount (~$1200) of total contract amount.
Contractor has performed very minimal handman services (~ worth $200) and none of electrical services.
I had to reschedule electrical services by a day due to some issues. Contractor told me that he would call me up and reschedule services for sometime next week. I left him couple of VM but never returned my call.
Next day I need some handman services and I agreed to pay him extra for additional trip.He did send his handman who performed some service for 30min. He asked me for money & I told him I would pay the contractor.
Later in the evening he calls me up and starts shouting on why his handman was not paid (~$75). Though I told him I will pay him extra once the job is done, he wouldn't listen to me. Also I told him that he had my $1200 for which services have not been rendered yet. He was not worried about my $1200 but worried about his $75
Finally he told me "I will see how your work gets done in time. I do not have time for next 7-10 days. I will try to reschedule if I have time" and hung up the phone. I tried calling him once but he wouldn't pick up.

I am not intrested in his services any more as he is not trustworthy and wants money before doing job. Also he is very unpolite and rude. Even he comes after 2 weeks I am sure he will try to get more money out of me and not do good job. What are my options?

1. Can I cancel the contract? if I am willing to lose my $1200.
2. Can I get $900 i.e 50% down for electrical services for which work has not started yet.(Rest $300 is 50% for handman services)
3. Does he have right to ask for another payment of $1200 for work not done, and if I don't go with him?
4. Can I just forget about him and move on?

Please advise what is my best option and process involved.
I need to get my work done and would like to go with more professional company.
Appreciate all your help. Thanks in advance.

BL

What are your written terms of the contract(s) ?

Are there a start / finish dates ?

garry

Some handyman services on 28th (which was done)
It mentions electrical work on 29th Jan (Not done as I requested to reschedule on 28th but later I told him he can come in on 29th. He doesn't give me any concerete dates now. Also he keeps on saying that you cancelled scheduled appointment and now I have no time to do your job. Says may be after 7-10 days but can't guarantee)
Some other handman services once I have appliance : ~ 1st week of Jan (but now I will have my appliances on 2nd week of Jan)

Problem is he is not co-operting in anyway. Doesn't take my calls neither return them.
Just wanna get out of thsi contract?

BL

Some handyman services on 28th (which was done)
It mentions electrical work on 29th Jan (Not done as I requested to reschedule on 28th but later I told him he can come in on 29th. He doesn't give me any concerete dates now. Also he keeps on saying that you cancelled scheduled appointment and now I have no time to do your job. Says may be after 7-10 days but can't guarantee)
Some other handman services once I have appliance : ~ 1st week of Jan (but now I will have my appliances on 2nd week of Jan)

Problem is he is not co-operting in anyway. Doesn't take my calls neither return them.
Just wanna get out of thsi contract?
I would advise you to take your contracts for a consult with a lawyer that specializes in contractual law in your area for a small fee to review them , and give you legal advise .

We can not tell you here .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">