• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother Had Power of Attorney & He Died...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paige26

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My mother has Alzheimer's disease, and a couple of years ago when she was in the first stage of the disease my brother had her sign a Power of Attorney giving him control. He died three days ago. Is it possible that he put his wife's name on the POA? My mother would have never given him POA if she knew what she was signing. Also, she hated my siter-in-law, and I feel sick just thinking of her having power over my mother.:(

I cannot sleep I am so worried. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My mother has Alzheimer's disease, and a couple of years ago when she was in the first stage of the disease my brother had her sign a Power of Attorney giving him control. He died three days ago. Is it possible that he put his wife's name on the POA? My mother would have never given him POA if she knew what she was signing. Also, she hated my siter-in-law, and I feel sick just thinking of her having power over my mother.:(

I cannot sleep I am so worried. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
a POA is not rassignable unless a contingent POA is stipulated in the original by the ORIGINAL maker, your mother.

In the present case, you need to petition the court to appoint a guardian for your mother as she will not be found competent to appoint a new POA. The sister in law has NO LEGAL standing.

a POA is not rassignable unless a contingent POA is stipulated in the original by the ORIGINAL maker, your mother.

In the present case, you need to petition the court to appoint a guardian for your mother as she will not be found competent to appoint a new POA. The sister in law has NO LEGAL standing.
I agree ... but you need to read the POA to see if there is a successor agent listed. Most attorneys recommend this, but it the principal's final decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">