• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cvc 23222 (b)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeffree

What is the name of your state? CA

On the 26th i was pulled over for making a right turn from the middle lane. There was a car in the right lane with the door open and the driver either entering or exiting the car (the person's foot was out). The officer also stated my headlights were out, but I drive a car with automatic headlights that turn on when it's dark, so I wasn't too sure about that. The street was well lit so I didn't notice. The officer then asked me why he smelled marijuana and I was honest and told him I had smoked about an hour and a half ago. He then asked me to step out of the car and gave me a sobriety test which I passed. Then he asked if I still had marijuana and I told him what I had left was in my center console. Unfortunately, my insurance had expired as well. My parents had just switched me over from AAA to State Farm. The AAA insurance lasted for a year, while State Farm's was vaild every 6 months or so I belive. Since I was unaware of that, he cited me for that also. He asked if he could search my trunk, and I gave him permission cause I knew there was nothing. Then he asked for a number to reach my parents and my personal cell phone. So, I have CVC 23222(b), 24250, 22100(a), and 16028(a). My license was returned to me. He then dropped me off at an In-N-Out off the freeway where my parents came to pick me up, take me to the police station, and get my keys to pick up my car which had been left on the side of the street. I talked to a lawyer over the phone and he said I was only looking at a max of $100 fine, or a marjiuana education class. I was looking over the forum and noticed a point could be docked on my record, which I would like to avoid. He said I wouldn't normally need a lawyer for this situation, but I want to avoid the point on my record if possible. I'm also not clear if he understood I was being charged for the traffic violations as well, I will make sure to make it clear next time I talk with him. Mainly I am wondering if I should hire the lawyer to come with me to court or not. Thank you for any advice in advanced, the help is much appreciated.

CdwJava

If you were cited for all the offenses you listed, then you could be looking at a greater total fine - I'd say several hundred dollars (the no insurance one can be a biggie). It might not hurt to have an attorney, but unless you have a poor driving record you will probably get off with a fine and counseling even without one.

Go out and get insurance so that you can show the court. Get the headlights checked and have that one signed off as corrected. And apparently you failed to signal a turning movement, so you are going to get jammed with that for a point on your record. All in all, it's not too bad. And you might be able to take traffic school, if you wish.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">