• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retaining parents home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monipoohgsu

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My Mom's cancer has come back, and she is very ill. She wrote a handwritten will in 1985 stating that she bequeths or wills her estate, in its entirety, to me. However, when I showed the will to an attorney, I was told that the will was not enough, and that I needed to get a Security Trust - an approximate 15,000.00 out of pocket endeavor. Why is her written will not enough, and are there other options for me? Her home is "in tha hood" and has a value of around 30,000.00 - but I grew up in it and want to retain it upon her passing. Any advice:confused: :confused:

seniorjudge

My Mom's cancer has come back, and she is very ill. She wrote a handwritten will in 1985 stating that she bequeths or wills her estate, in its entirety, to me. However, when I showed the will to an attorney, I was told that the will was not enough, and that I needed to get a Security Trust - an approximate 15,000.00 out of pocket endeavor. Why is her written will not enough, and are there other options for me? Her home is "in tha hood" and has a value of around 30,000.00 - but I grew up in it and want to retain it upon her passing. Any advice:confused: :confused:
Someone is trying to hoodwink you.

Go to a different lawyer.

A handwritten will is valid in Tennessee provided it was witnessed by 2 people. I would also suggest that you check with a different lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">