• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hurting and unemployed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

unemployed

I herniated 3 discs in my back while working as a milkman.
My last test in Aug.2000 was a Mylogram which also showed the herniations.I was told that a mylogram & ct scan were pre-op. tests.
A day or two after the tests the wc doctor said I had reached maximum medical improvement and to change careers.I
felt he was told by wc to release me no matter what the results were. Is this a common practice?
Since this time, I was laid-off from work since I was unable to do my normal job after 16 years in the industry.
I still have back pain (some days worse than others)and don't know where to go for further help.
1.Will wc pay the salary difference if I go back work
at a lesser paying job?
2.Will wc pay to retrain me?
3.Was I wrongfully terminated?
4.Most importantly do I have any options that I can
pursue.
Thanks,
Unemployed and hurting in (New Jersey)

[Edited by unemployed on 01-10-2001 at 01:49 PM]

S

soontobemom

hurting and unemployed

If you have a permanent impairment then you are entitled to benefits, but you need to consult a lawyer to get these. I'm pretty sure that the company doesn't have to pay the difference in salary if you take a lower paying job. As for retraining, I'm sure if there is such a thing as Vocational Rehabilitation in Michigan or not, but if there is, and you have an impairment, they will get you the training you need to be able to do a job within your limitations and they will help you to find a job. Talk to the Dept of Human Resources about this option. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">