• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYS Civil Service Law . . .

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Muddyemms

I'm a public employee, of the New York State Health Department. For the last six and a half years, I have been working in a job title that calls for a higher pay grade (Grade 14-18 as opposed to a Grade 9). For the last two and a half of those years, there has been a female Grade 18 doing the exact same job as me, working in the same lab room. I have several questions relating to this.

First, since we both are NYS employees, is there a NYS law, either Civil Service or Labor, that says that two people of different genders must be paid equally? I know of the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act, but I was wondering if there is a New York State analogue.

Second, if the answer to the above question is 'Yes', am I entitled to back pay for the time period that I was not being paid equally for equal work?

Third, is there a NYS Civil Service Law which allows for a promotion to a higher pay grade, if the employee has been working at the higher pay grade, for a set period of time?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">