• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Basement Flood

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1cent

What is the name of your state? NC

Just recently built and sold a new home back in October 2006, with required one year builder warranty. In November we had some very unusual heavy flood rains. Long story short, the 6" drain in front of basement doors got stopped up with construction debris by an ajoining jobsite(a styrofoam dinner plate to be exact), water had nowhere to go but in the double french doors leading to basement, end result...one foot of water standing in basement.
Homeowner calls insurance company the next morning and finds out, of course that they do not cover floods from rain or storms. Then they come after me, demanding that I reimburse them for 100% of damages to personal goods as well as perform all cleanup. I sympathized with them and sent out a company to extract the water and dry the basement, used hourly employees to help get clothes, etc. out of wet boxes, repack items and move. Totalling $3000. that I'm still not sure I'm responsible for, I just wanted to do it. The owner then sends me a list of items not salvagable and wants me to reimburse for all, plus time missed at work, plus emotional stress for wife, totally about $10,000. What exactly am I responsible for?
We passed all our final inspections for the county(he checks exterior grade, doors, steps, gutters, etc. as required by state) and a private home inspector hired by the buyers, neither said anything about the basement steps or drain in front of doors, appearing to have potential problems. Even the buyers walked the house inside and out with us, not worried at all about the basement steps. Everything was indeed built to NC code.
The drain will take on a massive amount of water but if we do get a massive amount again and something stops the drain, it will flood again. The drain must be clear at all times. Should I ride through the neighborhood everytime it rains and make sure nothing is covering the drain, or should they be responsible for making sure the drain is free from obstacles? I want these people to be happy with their home but at the same time, I don't want to pay for something I'm not 100% responsible for..What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

You MAY be responsible for the items damaged, but the missed time from work and emotional crap forget it.

PLEASE get your attorney involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">