• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estimates required to fix property damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mozo1

On Christmas Day, we had a very unfortunate incident with
a neighbor in which this person damaged our car. As we were
leaving their house, this person threw a book at our car, came over to the drivers side door, kicked the door three or four times and tried to smash the windows with their open hands, which they were not able to do. After waiting three days to hear from them regarding repairing the damage, and them not contacting us at all, we got the car repaired, with the idea that we would have to take care of this thru small claims court. We paid for the damages, and had to rent a car as it took 8 days to repair the vehicle. The total bill came to approx. $1650.00. My question is, we never got three estimates for the damage, just went ahead and got the car repaired. We live in California and there should be no question about who did the damage as it was seen by a police officer and he is willing to testify that this other party admitted to doing the damage. In this case, am I still required to get three estimates before going thru with the repair?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mozo1 said:
On Christmas Day, we had a very unfortunate incident with
a neighbor in which this person damaged our car. As we were
leaving their house, this person threw a book at our car, came over to the drivers side door, kicked the door three or four times and tried to smash the windows with their open hands, which they were not able to do. After waiting three days to hear from them regarding repairing the damage, and them not contacting us at all, we got the car repaired, with the idea that we would have to take care of this thru small claims court. We paid for the damages, and had to rent a car as it took 8 days to repair the vehicle. The total bill came to approx. $1650.00. My question is, we never got three estimates for the damage, just went ahead and got the car repaired. We live in California and there should be no question about who did the damage as it was seen by a police officer and he is willing to testify that this other party admitted to doing the damage. In this case, am I still required to get three estimates before going thru with the repair?
My response:

Wow ! What did you do to piss this person off, especially on Christmas day ? Whatever happened to "Peace on Earth, Goodwill Toward All Men" ? I guess that concept went out the window along with "the day, the music died".

While judges do like to see multiple estimates if a person is seeking damages prior to repair, there is no law in this regard. It's just an unwritten "rule of thumb".

However, while a judge might ask you why multiple estimates were not received, a judge must take "as true" the single estimate that you received because you have already paid for the damages, and can prove the same by bringing your cancelled check and final invoice for the repairs.

IAAL

HomeGuru

If you need two other estimate here ya go.

HomeGuru Enterprises LLC.. dba
Dang It Body & Fender
$2195.00 tax included

Note: we can fit you in on the last week of February.

Slogan: If You Have a Bang, See Dang.

HomeGuru Fix-it Shoppe
$1700.00 plus free 2001 Snap-On Tool calendar.

We specialze in the cheap and fast repair of anything broken. Our fast service can't be beat as we specialize in the use of sledge hammer, duct tape and felt tipped markers. All our workers are Certified Dent Removers.
All Makes, All Models. No Job Too Big or Small. We Wreck It All.
On weekends we also do building demolition work and tenant rent collections for cash. Ask for Bubba and get a no obligation quote right over the phone. You can also email at bubba@payorpay/com.

[Edited by HomeGuru on 01-08-2001 at 05:04 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">