• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is responsible for my employers camera equipment car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

taianne

I have been employed for the past 9 months as a private investigator in the State of California. I work for a small agency as an employee getting paid on an hrly rate of $12.00's per hr plus 24 cents a mile. I recently took a case in a very dangerous area of La. When i completed my surveillance I stopped at a service station to run in & use their restrooms after 11 straight hrs of nonstop surveillance. I was only gone 5 minutes and when I returned to my vehicle I saw that my car was broken into and my employers video camera was stolen. The video camera was 2 1/2 yrs old with an estimated new replacement value of $899.00's. The current used value of this camera is approximately $300.00's.....My employer expects me to purchase a brand new video camera at the current replacement value and he refuses to compensate me for my long 11 hr. days work plus the time, (2 hrs.) of report typing. He tells me that the other investigators will be returning from vacation this friday and he wants the new camera by then. I don't have the money, I need this job but he has cut my hrs way down now. I'm sick over it. Am I responsible for the theft of my employers camera while I was working for him?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">