• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana & concealed weapon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spreston83

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My boyfriend was arrested for possession of marijuana, obstruction of justice, and carrying a concealed weapon. His charges have been picked up as federal. His PD hasn't really let me know what all the possibilities are. I know that the possession and the weapon together will probably end in a mandatory jail sentence. We are questioning the marijuana charge b/c they only found residue on a glass. Is there a way to have the possession charge beat (or dropped) and if not, how much time will he be sentenced? His only past record is misdemeanor trespassing and destruction of property. We know he is going to do some kind of time, but are trying to find a way to make it as SHORT AS POSSIBLE!!!! Any advice please!!!

C

CopsAreStupid

How did it come about that they found the glass pipe with the residue?

From what actions did the obstruction charge originate?

How did they find the concealed weapon? How and where was it concealed?

Why was this case for "residue" escalated to federal court? Describe all of the contraband they allege they found in the car.

spreston83

He was approached by the cops at an apartment building that does not have a good reputation here. He got obstruction b/c he began to run, but turned back b/c he didn't want them to charge me with the gun (it was my car). So they searched the car. The residue was in a glass (cup... not pipe) and the gun was stuck down beside the seat and loaded. The county here has recently indicted more than 11 people in crack cocaine sales and gang activity here. They made me come on an interview about him to get my car back and they are trying to associate him with this "gang" (with which he is not in) and I really feel they are trying to make examples out of anyone they can right now.

C

CopsAreStupid

Sorry but I have to say time to start looking for a new boyfriend. He just doesn't sound too bright. Why would you consent to the search of your car if you knew you had illegal contraband in it?

CdwJava

How much time he does will depend on what specific offense(s) he is charged with. If you can post the code sections he is charged with, we might be able to advise on the sentences for those offenses. However, there could be a number of charges that apply in this situation, so without some direction even a guess might not be in the ballpark.

This was NOT a brilliant decision on someone's part. Chances are he (or you ... or both of you) were up to something else while you were at this apartment complex with a reputation, and the cops know it. Do one or both of you have a prior history of dope use or sales? His criminal history can also have an effect on any potential charges and enhancements for the gun possession.

- Carl

smutlydog

He was approached by the cops at an apartment building that does not have a good reputation here. He got obstruction b/c he began to run, but turned back b/c he didn't want them to charge me with the gun (it was my car). So they searched the car. The residue was in a glass (cup... not pipe) and the gun was stuck down beside the seat and loaded. The county here has recently indicted more than 11 people in crack cocaine sales and gang activity here. They made me come on an interview about him to get my car back and they are trying to associate him with this "gang" (with which he is not in) and I really feel they are trying to make examples out of anyone they can right now.
If the feds thought this case was worth prosecuting the simple possession charge is the least of his worries. I don't think the feds would have filed it unless they knew it was going to stick and result in a prison sentence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">