• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stealing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brianj1z

I would like to begin a business in NY offering various classes to children. I've obtained many ideas for projects from various sources (books, Internet, etc.). If I modify these projects and rewrite them in my own words, am I infringing on a copyright? How significant do the changes have to be? Are ideas copyrighted or simply available to all? Thanks in advance for your help. Brian

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Ideas aren't copyrightable. Two sources you haven't checked and need to check are: the copyright section at the freeadvice.com homepage and the u.s. copyright office. Make sure to read under derivative works.

http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">