• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney and want to resign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

William3

What is the name of your state? New York
I am the POA for my father. My father has Dementia. He has become verbally abusive and is very demanding. Can I resign as his POA. I was informed by Erie County Department of Seniors that since he has Dementia he cannot now legally revoke or appoint anyone to be his POA. So my question is, can I legally resign as his POA.

Thank you;
Willima3

CraigFL

I'm perplexed.... Are you trying to resign POA or being his son? The man apparently knew he was going to be in this condition so he gave you POA. Seeing your father in this state is not easy on you I'm sure, nor was it easy for him to anticipate. Even if you were to resign your POA, would that mean you wouldn't see him any more-- even as his son? Maybe he has his lucid moments and he's glad you have POA. This will be a very tough job for you, good luck!

William3

If you knew my father as my family does, you would not wonder. He was an abusive (physically) to all my siblings as well as my mother. if i was not the only one living here in town I would not have taken it. Now it is getting too much for me. I have a family of my own. A family he could care less about. He could not tell you how many children I have or their names or ages. That also goes for his other grandchildren, except for 2 and one he still gets his name wrong most of the time.

William3

The POA i currently have is I have control of everything. The box at the bottom where it says all of the above and then some, such as VA (which they do not recognize) or Social security.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">