• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possesion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewoops

What is the name of your state? California

My girlfriend was pulled over last night for expired registration. The officer saw a waterpipe when speaking to her in the back seat and asked her if she had pot in the car. She answered yes and the car was searched and pot found (less than 28.5g).

She was given a ticket and cited Ca VC 23222(b). She was then let go. She has no prior arrests for anything drug related however she is on probation for a disturbing the peace arrest. She is a type 1 diabetic and smokes pot to help with pain and other issues assoicated with disease.

My questions:

The ticket only cites the possession. Could a not guilty plea be entered and a defense built around there being no indication of reasonable cause for search? The ticket doesn't indicate any reason for being pulled over.

What / who determines whether a crime is Fed or State or whatever? Just out of curiosity.

This ticket was issued in another county of CA (vs. where her disturbing the peace arrest had taken place). When she goes to court will it be known that a probation violation occured and just in very general terms what might that bring into play (the disturbing the peace thing was as minor a conviction as i guess you could get for such a thing).

Last question: We aren't rich... that being said we would have a tough time paying for attorney but her losing her job because of having to do jail or whatever would be worse. Can you give guestimate as to how seriously we should consider getting an attorney?

Thank youWhat is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">