• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LAWSUIT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DestinyC

HI, I RENT A HOUSE ON CAMPGROUND PROPERTY AND LIVE IN NEW JERSEY. SOMEONE WAS PETTING MY DOG AND WAS TOLD TO STOP & STEP BACK AND THEY RESPONDED "NO" THE DOG IS FINE AND KEPT PETTING MEANWHILE THE DOG BIT HIM. RIGHT NOW I AM UNEMPLOYED WITH NO ASSETS. AND HE IS ASKING FOR OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES (WHICH HE IS TOTALLING TO ABOUT $10,000 (HE HAS HOSPITALIZATION, DON'T KNOW WHY THEY ARE SO HIGH) OR HE WILL HAVE TO PURSUE A LAWSUIT FROM THE OWNERS INSURANCE COMPANY BECUASE I DID NOT HAVE RENTERS INSURANCE AT THE TIME. NOW IF THE INSURANCE COMPANY GETS SUED AND THEY IN TURN SUE ME SINCE I HAVE NO ASSETS NOW---CAN THEY TAKE FROM ME IN THE FUTURE BY GARNISHING MY PAY CHECK? AND WHAT IF IN THE FUTURE I CAN AFFORD A HOUSE CAN THEY PUT A LIEN ON MY HOUSE AND FORCE ME TO SELL IT? THANKS

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Please help us to help you. To help us, please take your Cap Lock off and re-type your post. This will help to increase your chances for a response to your post. We thank you for your kind cooperation.

IAAL

JETX

Oh, oh.... I wonder if we are going to:

1) Get chewed on for being 'mean' in asking that they not type in all caps, AND/OR
2) Get told, "Your lucky I was able to type at all while holding my crying triplets in my lap and they all have chickenpox and they were all suckling at the same time, and they......"

In any case, let me offer the following to the original poster:
If the dog was 'out of your control (not on a leash)' you are very probably responsible for the dog bite. And if you are responsible for the bite, you are very probably responsible for the damages incurred (though I agree with you that $10k does seem excessive... did the person lose a leg or arm??). In any case, the homeowners insurance will pay some amount and then will subrogate back against you for THEIR losses (damages, PLUS their attorney fees, etc.). So, you will probably have a judgment rendered against you.

And yes, if they get a judgment, they can (if allowed in NJ) garnish your wages. As for your home, they probably can't force the sale, but they could put a lien on the property that would be paid when YOU sell it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">