• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question re: starting a NON-PROFIT ORG.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jschroeder

I have a question about how to go about setting up a non-profit organization. Hoping someone out there can help.

Some friends of mine here in Wisconsin are in the process of setting up a Non-profit organization for the purpose of educating the general public. The organization will be headquartered in Rhinelander, Wisconsin, in the heart of Wisconsin's Northwoods Country.

The organization's goal is to educate sport fisherman and tourists about the value of "selective harvest" and "catch and release" ethics, primarily through a literature distribution campaign, I think.

Before accepting any financial contributions, they wish to have all of their paperwork filed correctly. What are the steps involved in this process, to make everything legal? And what are the estimated costs? What government forms must be completed, and can this be done without the assistance of an attorney? My friends have been told that the costs could be as high as $3000, but I think that they should be able to do it by themselves for a lot less. Or am I mistaken?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

John Schroeder

L

loku

Incorporation of a non profit org.

In addition to a lot of details, there are two main objectives: complying with Wisconsin Not for profit incorporation laws, and getting recognition of exemption from the IRS and Wisconsin.

As for the Wisconsin incorporation, I would suggest you go to the State of Wisconsin Site at http://www.wdfi.org/_resources/indexed/site/corporations/form102.pdf and get the form Wisconsin Articles of Incorporation for a Nonstock Corporation.

As for the income tax exemption, I suggest you download a copy of IRS Publication 557 “Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization and a copy of ”the IRS’ “Application for Recognition of Exemption Contents Under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code: Package 1023 (Rev. September 1998)” at http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/forms_pubs/index.html.
The Publication and Package 1023 has all the information, instructions and forms you need for the federal tax exemption. Look at that and then decide if you need legal or accounting help.

I don’t know how much a local attorney would charge you for this, but I doubt that $3,000 is excessive. Some people can do it without an attorney. Looking at the above forms and publications will give you a good idea of what is entailed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">