• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POA but not married

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cglin1303

What is the name of your state? Florida

My fiance and I have been together for five years. One of my greatest fears is one of us getting in an accident and not having control over the other's medical care or resusictation, etc. because we are not married.
Since we are not minors, do our parents still automatically get get control of our medical care? If not, who?
Can my fiance and I have a lawyer write a will that will name each other as POA? We know each other's wishes and want to make sure it is carried out correctly. Will being a POA ensure that?

Thank you for your time.

BlondiePB

Since we are not minors, do our parents still automatically get get control of our medical care? If not, who?
When one does not have a medical POA, facilities are supposed to acquire via the court an appointed Health Care Surrogate to make medical decisions.
Can my fiance and I have a lawyer write a will that will name each other as POA?
No. You need a medical POA/Advanced Health Care Directives.
We know each other's wishes and want to make sure it is carried out correctly. Will being a POA ensure that?
Yes, however, a POA expires upon death of the grantor. If you have specific wishes regarding death arrangements and other matters - such as guardian should you require one, these need to be put in the Advanced Health Care Directives.
Thank you for your time.
You are welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">