• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

should I report this income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msingleman

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I have a problem. I worked for a family in Arkansas taking care of their ill father. I made a little over 3000 dollars for this. The family secretary has informed me that she is not reporting this and for me not to report it as income from the family. I want to report it but don't want to cause problems for their family. What should I do? Can I show it as income for me without showing where it came from?? :confused:

msingleman

no children. My wife and I both worked to make up the 3000 total income. She made about 2200 and I made 1000. We file married jointly. I made about 40,000 this past year at my regular employer. If any of that info helps. My wife does not work so I am the only income.

Happy Trails

Contact the family secretary and tell her to send you a 1099-MISC (if you were an independent contractor) or a W2 (if you were an employee).

He/she is required to by law.

LdiJ

no children. My wife and I both worked to make up the 3000 total income. She made about 2200 and I made 1000. We file married jointly. I made about 40,000 this past year at my regular employer. If any of that info helps. My wife does not work so I am the only income.
You are supposed to report all of your income. You would have to report that income on a schedule C, and you will also be subject to self employment taxes on that income. The IRS will not know the source of your income from your schedule C.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">