• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car was sold to me "as is"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Melfina_87

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

The end of September I bought a used 1995 Nissan Maxima for $2,999 from a used car salsemen, the car was sold to me as is but he offered me a seperate warranty on the car for the engine and the transmition for $300 more dollars, I bought the warranty and he told me that he would send it to me in the mail once he did what he needed to do with it. I took his word for it because he seemed like a nice guy, so I get the car and begin to drive it home when the car begins to kick and rev and not go anyplace at a light. So i get the car home and call him and he says he will tow it and take a look at it. It takes him a few days to tow it and finally look at it, and supposedly fix it. well by the time I got the car it was mid October, I drive the car for less than a month, the whole time it was acting up..starting up funny and what not. and then it wont start one morning, the engine turns but it dosent fire up. So i called him and he said he would tow it, a few days pass and the car is still sitting in my driveway I call again and he says he isnt going to do it. So i talk to my father who knows more than I do and he calls the guy up himself who finally agrees to tow it and take a look. Well apparently his mechanics cant find the problem and this is where my story ends, I get a "you cant have your money back because you bought it as is, tough luck"

So now I dont know what to do, I put all my savings into that car and now I have no vehicle still, should I take this to a small claims court??

BL

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

The end of September I bought a used 1995 Nissan Maxima for $2,999 from a used car salsemen, the car was sold to me as is but he offered me a seperate warranty on the car for the engine and the transmition for $300 more dollars, I bought the warranty and he told me that he would send it to me in the mail once he did what he needed to do with it. I took his word for it because he seemed like a nice guy, so I get the car and begin to drive it home when the car begins to kick and rev and not go anyplace at a light. So i get the car home and call him and he says he will tow it and take a look at it. It takes him a few days to tow it and finally look at it, and supposedly fix it. well by the time I got the car it was mid October, I drive the car for less than a month, the whole time it was acting up..starting up funny and what not. and then it wont start one morning, the engine turns but it dosent fire up. So i called him and he said he would tow it, a few days pass and the car is still sitting in my driveway I call again and he says he isnt going to do it. So i talk to my father who knows more than I do and he calls the guy up himself who finally agrees to tow it and take a look. Well apparently his mechanics cant find the problem and this is where my story ends, I get a "you cant have your money back because you bought it as is, tough luck"

So now I dont know what to do, I put all my savings into that car and now I have no vehicle still, should I take this to a small claims court??
What are your actual damages under the extra warranty of the transmission and engine ?

Your honor the car won't start ?

I'll give you a little advise . You drove it over a month after it was initially fixed . ( you don't state here what the problem was that it wouldn't go nowhere ) .

The seller is under NO obligation at this point to tow and look at the car .

What you do is call a reputable repair shop , have them " diagnose " the car . Get 2 estimates from two shops would be better , if indeed it falls under warranty issues .

If it is because of engine itself and not tuneup , sensors , or the like , in other words Engine malfunction or damage , or transmission itself damage , then send a Certified RRR letter with copy(s) of the estimate(s) to the seller and demand repair under the warranty .

Follow up with phone call(s).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">