• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where do I report this income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

melendyroad

What is the name of your state? NH

My employer cut me a bonus check of $500. This was not a payroll check so no taxes were taken out of it. My W2 that I received is done thru a payroll service and does not show this extra $500. Where do I put the money? Should I just add it in on line 7 as my wages, salaries etc? Even though the total amount listed on line 7 will not match my only W2...

Or do I list the $500 on line 21 under other income? what do I list the type as? Just write bonus?

Thank you!!!

Last edited:

LdiJ

My employer cut me a bonus check of $500. This was not a payroll check so no taxes were taken out of it. My W2 that I received is done thru a payroll service and does not show this extra $500. Where do I put the money? Should I just add it in on line 7 as my wages, salaries etc? Even though the total amount listed on line 7 will not match my only W2...

Or do I list the $500 on line 21 under other income? what do I list the type as? Just write bonus?

Thank you!!!
Well, first you should be certain that the money wasn't added to your W2, your employer would normally have instructed the payroll company to add it.

If not, your employer may be planning on giving you a 1099 (which would really NOT be appropriate).

fairisfair

Thank you!!!
when did you receive the check?

tranquility

You employer handled the bonus incorrectly. It should be on your W-2. You cannot make things right.

If you want to report the income in the most correct way in this situaion, I'd put it on line 21 as other income and add the employee and employer portions of the Social Security and Medicare taxes (total of 15.3%) on line 58 without attaching Form SE. (That form will reduce the amount owed and the calculation will be incorrect.)

melendyroad

Thank you for all the quick responses. I just checked with my HR dept and they did tell the payroll company to add it to the W2 but the EOY stuff was already printed (of course Murphy's law they did it early). The payroll company and the tax guy have decided instead of redoing the W2, a 1099 will be issued for the $500. (the reason for this is that this location only has one employee-me)

Thanks!

The check was issued on 12/23/06

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">