• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Poor quality workmanship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bobbers

I hired a contractor here in NE to do some renovation work in my home.
The contractor was a local person and did not give a contract. I asked for one but none was given. He stated that the costs to do the work would be around $2000.00.

The work was delayed time and again. Finally he started the work but I quickly noticed that the work was sub-standard. Of course he said is was not. About half way through I fired him. I felt that I could do a better job than he was doing and that he had done enough damage. At his request I paid him 1/2 of the contract amount. He did about 1/2 but after I had repaired his work he did about 1/4 of the work I asked. I just wanted him gone and also wanted to avoid any further involvement or complications. I felt that it would be in my best interest if I paid him what he requested.

This occurred in June of 2005.

I live in a small town and I have seen him on multiple occassions around town the past 1.7 years and he never mentioned anything about this until a week ago. We met in the hardware store and he requested that I send him the remaining $1000.00. I told him that I ddn't owe him anything. A week later I received a letter from from an attorney he hired. He contends that I owe him the remainder of the contract. He stated that he did "most" of the work and only a few things were not completed.

A majority of his work required fixing in one form or another and I have completed the fixes. Since he requested payment long ago and I paid him, I felt this whole mess was done. I have some receipts for the repairs I made to his work but I didn't take any pictures etc.

How would I prove aty this time that his work was sub-standard if I fixed it all?
What do I owe him? Anything?
Are there time limits for payment claims?
I'm at a loss on this. :eek:

lcannister

The contractor was a local person and did not give a contract. I asked for one but none was given.

So why in the heck did you go forward?? Was he that much cheaper?

However just let him take you to court and allow a Judge to make the decision based on your evidence, virtually none and his evidence probably virtually none as well.

LindaP777

I am so hoping you paid with a check and that your wrote "paid in full" on the memo line. If the guy sues you, be sure and counter sue for any part of the $500 becuase you repaired his work.
Was there a work/building permit? I'm guessing not.
When is your court date? Please post back and let us know how it turns out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">