• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change tax status during divorce waiting period?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jssf

What is the name of your state? California

I am currently in the 6 month waiting period before our summary dissolution becomes final. There is no alimony, no money changing hands of any kind, simply a dissolution. Should I change my withholdings on my tax documents?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? California

I am currently in the 6 month waiting period before our summary dissolution becomes final. There is no alimony, no money changing hands of any kind, simply a dissolution. Should I change my withholdings on my tax documents?
Maybe, maybe not. No one can answer that question without being privy to your overall situation and its details.

Take your tax return from 2005, and your W2 for 2006 and go get a consult with a local tax professional if you want a real answer to that question.

Or, if you just want to be "safe"...change your withholding to single and zero...and then decide next year after you do your taxes. However, that may mean that the government holds on to alot more of your money than necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">