• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charitable gifts to church

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rfordtuff

What is the name of your state? Tx

My understanding is that for gifts in excess of 250 you must have a receipt from the organization receiving the money. My question is, my church provides an end of year statement that states the total of my yearly donations, is this okay? Does it need to have a list of each contribution or is just a total okay?

Thanks
Randy

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Tx

My understanding is that for gifts in excess of 250 you must have a receipt from the organization receiving the money. My question is, my church provides an end of year statement that states the total of my yearly donations, is this okay? Does it need to have a list of each contribution or is just a total okay?

Thanks
Randy
The law has actually changed...just this year. You now need proof of every donation, no matter how small. That doesn't necessarily mean that you have to have a receipt, but you have to have some proof. (ie, a cancelled check)

However, an end of the year statement from a church has ALWAYS been acceptable evidence....and still is.

mtpockets

additonal requirements

The receipt must state whether any goods or services were received in exchange and the value thereof.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">