• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporary work in another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bcar1463

What is the name of your state? Kentucky / Alabama

I live in Kentucky, but took a temporary job through my school in Alabama for a few months. During this time I rented an apartment in AL, and the company I worked for had this information for my address.

When I pay taxes, do I pay KY or AL tax? If AL, do I just not even report this income to KY? Thanks!

abezon

Since this is a temp job & you did not change residency, you remain a KY resident all year. KY gets to tax you on all income. KY may give you a credit/deduction for taxes paid to AL, but you'll have to check with a KY tax pro.

You can deduct the costs of the temp job if you maintained a home in KY while living in AL. (Doubled up living expenses) You can also deduct the costs of getting to AL & back, getting from your temp living space to the temp job site, housing costs (including utilities), etc. This assumes that you have enough expenses & other deductions to itemize your deductions. You may also be able to deduct the AL job expenses on the AL return even if you don't itemize on the federal return. Ask an AL tax pro.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">