• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i qualify for anything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deagle

What is the name of your state? Florida

I didn't make much 'taxable' money last year and I remember someone telling me about possibly qualifying for something but I can't remember what it is, I'll try to explain my best.

1. had to make under a certain amount.
2. has to be over a certain age.

can someone explain to me more about getting the most of my refund, I'm 23 years old. I have 1 2yr old daughter (my GF is claiming her because she made more money on paper.)

Is there any certain tricks or tips I need to know?What is the name of your state?

abezon

They're talking about earned income credit. You & GF should visit the same preparer at the same time. It may be that the household gets more $$ if you claim the kid, even though GF made more money. Your preparer will need to compare the returns & then you & GF decide what you want to do.

You do not qualify for EIC without the child, nor does your GF. If you have a qualifying child for EIC purposes, you cannot claim EIC as if you didn't have the QC.

If you & GF can't agree, the parent with whom the kid lived longer in 2006 gets her. If that doesn't solve things, the parent with the higher AGI gets the kid.

LdiJ

They're talking about earned income credit. You & GF should visit the same preparer at the same time. It may be that the household gets more $$ if you claim the kid, even though GF made more money. Your preparer will need to compare the returns & then you & GF decide what you want to do.

You do not qualify for EIC without the child, nor does your GF. If you have a qualifying child for EIC purposes, you cannot claim EIC as if you didn't have the QC.

If you & GF can't agree, the parent with whom the kid lived longer in 2006 gets her. If that doesn't solve things, the parent with the higher AGI gets the kid.
There is some minimal EIC available for a person without children. However that person must be over age 25, single, make less that 12,100 and the maximum amount of EIC available is 412.00.

abezon

There is some minimal EIC available for a person without children. However that person must be over age 25, single, make less that 12,100 and the maximum amount of EIC available is 412.00.
True, but our poster *has* a qualifying child. The EIC statute gives two tests, one for taxpayers who have a qualifying child & one for taxpayers who do not have a qualifying child. Since Congress used the word "have" instead of "claim," the IRS interprets this to mean that a taxpayer who has a QC only gets EIC if s/he actually claims the QC.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">