• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does salary work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kelli2kids

This is a case where my husband was hired over 2 yrs ago to take on a new position that would be salaried as opposed to hourly. This meant that he would also not be getting over time anymore. (he is in drywall/construction) Well he agreed to the expected 45hr/week for his salary. Then came about a year later when we had a bad snow storm and he got to work, but non of his guys did, so after half the day he went home (about 3-4hrs early)that was one week. The next week he had to attend a funeral of one of our relatives and he worked part of the day then went to the funeral (was out of town so could not go back afterward) and they deducted 1 days pay (how they came up with the amount is beyond me)on one paycheck. My question is, can they do this legally? I just can't see how if they expect you to work extra hours and you don't get paid for it, why can they deduct when you work a few less? And to top it all off they have now insinuated that he is to work a 50hr week. I see no point since they have no contract that he should be held to this. It is as if they can change the rules of the game and not tell you.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">