• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Holding Financial papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state? PA

My mother still has a collection of bank and tax papers dating back to 1998 in my name. I doubt that means anything now. But she also has financial papers (bank/tax) with my name from June 2000-Jan 2001. I opened a joint bank account with gf at time(wife now) in June 2000, married Oct 2000. My mother still has the papers of when we lived in their town. We apparently left it behind when we moved to my wife's home area.

My mother and brother (who knows/follows financial/tax laws, but not a grad or works for anything of kind) are requesting a letter from me to destroy anything that has my name on it. I told her to keep paperwork that has both my gf/wife name on it.
Would I need to keep financial/tax papers dating before I opened bank account with gf? How far back is it needed to keep papers involving unmarried/married and single accounts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">