• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cvc 23222(b)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kbl59

What is the name of your state? California

recently got 23222(b), driver in possession of marijuana (i told them it was in my trunk and they found it). i had less than an ounce (less than 1/8 to be exact). Court is Torrance superior court (Los Angeles County). I have never been in trouble w/ law and do not have any criminal records and honestly i am very very scared. Do you guys know what is going to happen? all i could find on the internet was $100 fine at max. is it worth getting a lawyer for something like this? is the misdemeanor charge gonna be expunged in 2 years? will my driver's license get a point penalty? on my driving record, will it specifically say what type of crime it was? will it show that it was a misdemeanor? Everyone is telling me it is a minor crime and i shouldnt be worried but this kind of thing never happened to me and i'm paranoid. Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.:eek:

Last edited:

CdwJava

It's a misdemeanor with a $100 fine plus fees and penalties, does not appear to require a mandatory suspension, and does not appear to result in a point on your driver's license.

However, a conviction might result in some form of probation and conditions being placed on your driving by the court.

Keep the dope at home ... or, better yet, stop using the stuff.

- Carl

kbl59

thank you

Thank you so much for the answers. You cleared up a lot for me.
It was just a bad day, and my friends were shocked b/c i dont smoke that much and they have never been caught.

Another Q:
i know under H&S code, charge gets expunged in 2 years but what about in cvc 23222?

CdwJava

It goes away in two years from any state or local conviction records, but the citation will remain on your DMV record for 7 years.

- Carl

kbl59

Thanks again, Carl.
but what do you mean by penalties (1st response).
and do you think i need to find a lawyer??

CdwJava

I probably should have phrased it as fines, fees and assessments - not penalties.

It is always BEST to consult an attorney, of course. There might be ramifications that I am unaware of, so to get the most complete answer you would want to speak to an attorney in your area.

- Carl

klgambit

It goes away in two years from any state or local conviction records, but the citation will remain on your DMV record for 7 years.

- Carl
I found this thread and im in the same situation in the same area. Got pulled over, got the Driver in possession of marijuana. The thing im worried about is I drive as part of my job so if i get a point on my license that states i was in Pos. of Marijuana and they found out I will most likely be fired. So, my question is what will it say on driving record and insurance?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I found this thread and im in the same situation in the same area. Got pulled over, got the Driver in possession of marijuana. The thing im worried about is I drive as part of my job so if i get a point on my license that states i was in Pos. of Marijuana and they found out I will most likely be fired. So, my question is what will it say on driving record and insurance?
Start your own thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">