• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EIC x 3?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJane

What is the name of your state? MO

Ok, I'm doing my taxes and am ready to e-file my return. I used H&R Block's software, and ran the error check twice. This is the same software I used last year, and everything was just fine, so I'm fairly trusting that it's correct this time too...

But here's the 'problem':

I have 3 kids.... two that I claim as dependents and one that is claimed by my exhusband. All three kids live with me the majority of the time.

I claimed the 2 dependents, and when I got to the EIC portion of the return, it asked me if there were any non-dependent children living with me, to which I answered yes (oldest daughter whom ex claims) just as I did last year when I only had 2 kids.

The software allowed me to claim my 2 dependents for EIC AND the non-dependent child. My issue is that I thought you were only allowed to claim 2 kids for EIC... is the non-dependent child a loophole?

I have a call in to H&R Block, but I'm a little impatient to get this filed.

Help?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? MO

Ok, I'm doing my taxes and am ready to e-file my return. I used H&R Block's software, and ran the error check twice. This is the same software I used last year, and everything was just fine, so I'm fairly trusting that it's correct this time too...

But here's the 'problem':

I have 3 kids.... two that I claim as dependents and one that is claimed by my exhusband. All three kids live with me the majority of the time.

I claimed the 2 dependents, and when I got to the EIC portion of the return, it asked me if there were any non-dependent children living with me, to which I answered yes (oldest daughter whom ex claims) just as I did last year when I only had 2 kids.

The software allowed me to claim my 2 dependents for EIC AND the non-dependent child. My issue is that I thought you were only allowed to claim 2 kids for EIC... is the non-dependent child a loophole?

I have a call in to H&R Block, but I'm a little impatient to get this filed.

Help?
Does the H&R Block software let you see the actual forms prior to transmission?

EIC can only be claimed for two children, and most software automatically selects the two youngest children. Therefore I think that you could be confused as to what the software is saying you can do. My concern would be that its accidentally giving you the exemption for the oldest. In any case, you really need to see the forms to see what its actually doing.

CJane

Does the H&R Block software let you see the actual forms prior to transmission?
Yes. I printed them out.

EIC can only be claimed for two children, and most software automatically selects the two youngest children. Therefore I think that you could be confused as to what the software is saying you can do. My concern would be that its accidentally giving you the exemption for the oldest. In any case, you really need to see the forms to see what its actually doing.
Yeah, I think I just need a LOT more coffee.

Apparently, while it let me put in the info for the oldest (the one the ex claims) and told me that she was a qualifying non-dependent, it didn't figure her into the final amount... I assumed that it did because the refund amount is significantly more than I thought it would be, but it doesn't show her info anywhere on the forms.

So I should be good, right? Assuming the software is finding no redflags or errors?

LdiJ

Yes. I printed them out.

Yeah, I think I just need a LOT more coffee.

Apparently, while it let me put in the info for the oldest (the one the ex claims) and told me that she was a qualifying non-dependent, it didn't figure her into the final amount... I assumed that it did because the refund amount is significantly more than I thought it would be, but it doesn't show her info anywhere on the forms.

So I should be good, right? Assuming the software is finding no redflags or errors?
Yep...all should be good.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">