• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant Issued on Small Claims Judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JLChristensen

Last year my husband and I were involved in a small claims suit which was filed against us in Arizona by a former landlord. Prior to the hearing date of the suit, we moved to New Mexico and because the landlord had the hearing accelerated we were unable to be there. Although we notified the court and asked for a different hearing date, since we did not appear a civil arrest warrant was issued by the court which is in effect for one year from the date it was issued. My question is, will this have any effect on getting a New Mexico Driver's License or in any other way here in New Mexico? I have not driven since the move here and so have not needed my license for anything, however, I need to get a new one since my birthday is coming up. New Mexico requires proof of current address and a Social Security card in order to get a license.

Thanks for any help you can give.

JETX

In my opinion.. this question requires knowledge of the licensing practices in New Mexico and as such will probably not be answered with any 'authority' on this forum.

For example, I don't (and I don't think anyone else will)know if NM does an NCIC check on all license applicants AND if Arizona enters Judgment warrants into the NCIC database. Without knowledge of these two specific facts, no one here can answer your question.

My suggestion:
Call the local (NM) license folks and explain that "'a friend' has a judgment warrant issued in Arizona. Will that affect their application for a license in NM?"

Surely the officer won't arrest you over the phone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">