• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Norman881

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

My estranged mother died 1 week ago. I am the beneficiary on her insurance, so the funeral home contacted me to pay the amount that her insurance did not cover.

I found out that she had my name on her savings account, so the bank sent me a check with more than enough money to cover the balance of the funeral.

Along with the check the bank manager sent a note stating that there was a checking account too, but my name was not on it. She stated that for me to close the checking account that I need to send her a copy of the death certificate (which I will get in 2 weeks) and the executor papers.

I live in Washington State. Who do I need to contact in West Virginia to ask about executor papers? The funeral director suggested that I start calling probate lawyers. Is that what I need to do?

Sincerely,
Norman

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Mention the city in West Virginia that she died in so I can look up the county courthouse for that city and provide you with the address and phone number. Or do a Google search for that county and you should be able to find a website with the contact information for the courthouse for that county that handles probate.

You may want to hire an attorney to do this probate for you if you don't wish to take time off from your job to do this.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Norman881

Thank you very much Dandy Don!

She died in Wheeling, West Virginia and it is in Ohio County.

Sincerely,
Norman

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">