• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding 1099-C

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mike703

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I recieved a 1099-C cancellation of debt form today and am very confused on it.

I did some research and found that if I have recieved this form it is because I am liable for taxes due on the amount cancelled. I did some further research and found that there are certain cases where this amount can be excluded from income. This debt was a student loan from a private lender (Key Bank) that started to go bad around 2003 as I was unable to make steady payments. This debt was finally settled and paid last year which I thought that would be the end of it.

My question is, since this was a student loan paid to an accredited college, can this be considered not includible? I read there are certain exceptions but was unclear in the student loan section of Pub. 525. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I recieved a 1099-C cancellation of debt form today and am very confused on it.

I did some research and found that if I have recieved this form it is because I am liable for taxes due on the amount cancelled. I did some further research and found that there are certain cases where this amount can be excluded from income. This debt was a student loan from a private lender (Key Bank) that started to go bad around 2003 as I was unable to make steady payments. This debt was finally settled and paid last year which I thought that would be the end of it.

My question is, since this was a student loan paid to an accredited college, can this be considered not includible? I read there are certain exceptions but was unclear in the student loan section of Pub. 525. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Try reading the information here:

http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099ac/index.html

If you could be considered as "insolvent" as of the date that the balance of the loan was forgiven (and that is why you got the 1099-C) Read through that to get information on insolvency.....or, and probably better, get your taxes done professionally this year....and ask for an appointment with someone who is experienced with dealing with 1099-Cs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">