• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is a disabled adult a dependant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stupidmoron

What is the name of your state? NY

I am a 37 year old, recieving Social Security disability and food stamps. I am not working. I live with my parents. The deed to the house states 3 owners, my father, my mother and me. My father is going to claim me on his taxes as a dependant because I do not work. He has ordered me to not file any Federal or State income taxes this year. Is what he plans to do legal? I have told him I DO NOT approve and I DO NOT want to be on his taxes as a dependant. I have signed nothing authorizing him to do this. Is there any chance that I will lose my Social Security/Food Stamps benefits or will recieve a reduction of benefits? I will be contacting Social Security about this matter too. And should I file my taxes anyway? As I have stated he has ORDERED me not to, but I have also NOT given him my permission to use me as a dependant. He is doing this so he will recieve more on his tax refund.What is the name of your state?

tranquility

Perhaps you should check with social security/food stamp benefits people before being so stubborn. If you qualify as a dependent, you could save your father some money. You would not get the same benefit from claiming yourself on your taxes.

That does not mean you would qualify merely because you are disabled, there are factors to consider. However, if those factors are true, I don't think your permission is required.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NY

I am a 37 year old, recieving Social Security disability and food stamps. I am not working. I live with my parents. The deed to the house states 3 owners, my father, my mother and me. My father is going to claim me on his taxes as a dependant because I do not work. He has ordered me to not file any Federal or State income taxes this year. Is what he plans to do legal? I have told him I DO NOT approve and I DO NOT want to be on his taxes as a dependant. I have signed nothing authorizing him to do this. Is there any chance that I will lose my Social Security/Food Stamps benefits or will recieve a reduction of benefits? I will be contacting Social Security about this matter too. And should I file my taxes anyway? As I have stated he has ORDERED me not to, but I have also NOT given him my permission to use me as a dependant. He is doing this so he will recieve more on his tax refund.What is the name of your state?
If you are receiving only social security as income, then its pointless for you to file a return.
You are not required to do so, nor would it provide you any benefit. It would actually be odd for you to file a return.

However, it may or may not be valid for your father to claim you as a dependent. You have less than 3300.00 of taxable income...therefore the question would boil down to whether or not your father provides more than 50% of your support. If dad is paying the mortgage and the bills, and your social security is relatively low, he might be legitimately providing more than 50% of your support.

If the house is paid off, and you are a 1/3 owner, then it would be less likely that he was providing 50% of your support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">