• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Home Tax Deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MeAnDg5

What is the name of your state? NY

Purchased a new home in January of 2006. What exactly can I deduct if anything on my taxes besides the taxes I paid, mortgage interest and points. Thanks for your time. Howie:confused:

tranquility

It depends on how you use the home and what you spent money on. But, from what I assume you are asking (you bought home and live in it), you've got the deductions covered.

MeAnDg5

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess what I'm asking is where do I put these deductions on the form. I've deducted the taxes, points and interest, but where do I deduct the closing costs? I do live in the house full time as it's my primary residence. Where on the forms do I, or can I deduct the closing costs, like the legal fees, title insurance, things like that? Thanks again, Howie:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">