• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short term disability and FMLA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dizzyday

What is the name of your state? Kansas:(
I have been on short term disability through my employer since Oct. 18, but I have actually only been paid through Nov. 24, leaving me 2 months behind in payments and all my bills. Is there anyway I can speed up the process with the insurance company and should I expect my employer to do more to help me with this. Also, today I receive a letter that unless I file for Family Medical Leave and qualify they will terminate me. They provisionally put me on this effective Feb. 1, 2007. Said it was a new policy effective Jan. 31 and I must apply for FML within 15 days. What will that do to my short term disability through them as a benefit of my employment? I have not returned to work because my doctor has recommended I go to the Mayo Clinic for diagnosis. As far as the "new policy" is concerned, it clearly says on it TO: ALL EMPLOYEES, but I talked to some of my co-workers and they know nothing about it and have not received notification of this new policy. Can they do that?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
FMLA and disability policies are completely independent of each other although they can and often do run concurrently. Being on FMLA will not in any way impact what you are or are not eligible for through your disability plan.

Frankly, I don't know why you haven't been on FMLA from the beginning. How long have you worked for this employer and how many employees do they have?

You have already had more time than the law requires them to offer you even under FMLA, so it is definitely to your advantage to apply. Under the circumstances you describe, it will be quite legal if you are termed, disability benefits or not.

As far as speeding up the process, you haven't explained why your benefits are being held up so there's nothing we can offer to help with that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">