• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Request for special notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liverpool

What is the name of your state? CA

What is a request for special notice. I am not the administer of the estate but I am a beneficiary and need to know if I should ask and file this with the court. I am under the impression that the only thing the administer of the estate needs to contact me about is the selling of the property but not the bank accounts, life insurance or personal belongings. Am I wrong?:confused:

BelizeBreeze

The following types of actions are those where notice is required by the administrator.

You generally have the power to take the following actions without prior court authority or giving a Notice of Proposed Action, but you must give a Notice of Proposed Action if you take these actions under the following circumstances:

Enter into a contract, if the contract cannot be performed within two years;
Invest money belonging to the estate, if the investment is something other than:

An obligation of the U.S. or State of California that will mature within one year of making the investment;

A money market mutual fund with a portfolio limited to U.S. government obligations maturing within five years of making the investment and repurchase agreements fully collateralized by U.S. government obligations;
Units in a common trust fund invested primarily in short-term fixed income obligations;
Eligible securities invested in surplus state money;
Investments that are permitted or directed by the decedent's Will.

Continue to operate the decedent's unincorporated business for a period longer than six months from the date Letters are issued, or if you are acting as general partner of a partnership;
Pay a family allowance to the decedent's surviving spouse or minor children, if or when you:

Make the first payment of a family allowance;
Making the first payment after 12 months have passed after the decedent's death; or
Make any increase in the amount of the payment of a family allowance.

Lease real or personal property for a term longer than one year:
Sell or exchange personal property belonging to the estate, if the property is something other than the following:

A security sold on an established stock or bond exchange;
A security designed as a national market system security and sold through a registered broker-dealer;
Perishable or depreciating personal property, or property needed to pay a family allowance

Grant or extend to a broker an exclusive right to sell property of the estate, if the original grant together with any prior extensions exceed 270 days.

You normally will not require a special notice for the above. And there are a list of things the administrator may do in the name of the estate which do NOT require notice.

To find the requirements, look here: http://www.scselfservice.org/probate/prop/HowtoAdministertheEstate11.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">